Our Story

At the beginning of the decade, in January 2010, I met Bryan. I was only 19 years old. Our first date was effortless and fun and everything I could have ever asked for in a first date. I went home that night and told my friends that I was going to marry him. They laughed, I laughed, and we let it go.

Bryan and I began exclusively dating on February 19, 2010.


[Our first photo together – March 2010]

Over the next few years, we spent all the time we could together. We went to Angels games, Disneyland, Packers games, and pretty much everywhere together. He was everything I had ever wanted. I didn’t need a Prince Charming, but there he was.


On January 25, 2014, Bryan got down on one knee in the Disneyland Esplanade, in front of both of our families, and asked me to marry him! Of course, I said yes! It was absolutely perfect. We spent the next three years, yes THREE, planning our wedding. I was still in school and wanted to graduate before we got married.


I graduated in May 2016 and we got married on November 12, 2016. The day was absolutely perfect. It was filled with love and laughter.


We knew we wanted kids, but we also wanted to enjoy each other. We went to London for our honeymoon. We traveled to Oregon multiple times to visit Bry’s brother and took a trip to Wisconsin for a family reunion [Bryan’s side]. We rented our first apartment together and bought our first home, just 9 months later.


On July 27, 2019, we found out that I was pregnant with our first child. We were ecstatic!


On November 2, 2019, we found out that our sweet baby was going to be a GIRL!


My pregnancy was nothing out of the ordinary. Every doctor’s appointment went really well. Everything was moving along perfectly. Until…it wasn’t.

At 12:30am on December 28, 2019, I woke up to fluid everywhere. I called Kaiser and was told that to be safe I should go to emergency because it could possibly be that my water broke. I was told that I needed to go to a specific location because I was only 26 weeks 3 days my preferred location wasn’t prepared for a baby that small, should I give birth.

I walked into the emergency room and they didn’t even check me in; they sent me straight to labor & delivery. Once there we were informed that my water had torn, but that I hadn’t lost everything. Baby girl was fine, for now. They admitted me and said that I would be in the hospital until I gave birth. Their ultimate goal was to get me to 34 weeks, which was 7 weeks away!


This is where things started to move much faster. I was miserable laying in that bed all day long and not being able to get up. I was prepared to lay in that bed for almost 7 weeks. That didn’t happen. On Tuesday, December 31, 2019, I was having horrible contractions and was given an epidural. The doctors informed me that I could still stay pregnant for weeks. However, on January 1, 2020, at 1:11pm our little girl decided she wanted out. And out she came at 27 weeks exactly.

Nellie-Anne Juliet was born at just 2lbs 8oz and 15.5in long. 



This is where it gets difficult. Since she was born so early she’ll need to spend the first few months of her life in the NICU. Even though the nurses and doctors are absolutely wonderful, hearing this broke my heart. I never expected to give birth and then have to leave her at the hospital.

We can visit her whenever we want and stay for however long we want. We get to feed her, change her, and hold her. But the reality of our situation is that she still has a lot of growing to do. She has to learn how to eat, breathe, and do pretty much everything before they will let us take her home.

This is where this blog starts…with our journey from NICU to home.


Nellie-Anne came home on March 10, 2020, after 10 weeks in the NICU. Now, we learn her at home. We’re not on our own, but we don’t have the 24-hour care from the nurses anymore. I’ll continue writing about our journey and the different things we do.

Thank you for joining us on our journey.